Sleeping in a Tent

The duplex that Dad had rented had a front room, one bedroom, a kitchen, and a little eating area.  Mother and Dad were to have one bedroom, Joe slept on the sofa in the front room and Mother asked Dad, “Where are the girls going to sleep?” 

He said, “We can put a tent out in the back yard for the girls.”Which he did.  And from October until late spring, Esther and Ruth slept in this tent in our little back yard. 

Rain….cold….snow….or what-have-you.  We used to hate to go down the stairs to our tent bedroom.  But we did; every night.  We took hot bricks with us to warm the bed.

Photo of Main Street in Sultan, WA, ca. 1913.

Swedish Baptist Church

All this time we went to this little Swedish Baptist Church which was down in West Oakland.  We had many happy times there with the young people.  Many of whom are still our very close friends.  One person that was our friend was Fred Lindquist.  He had come from the Oland Islands which is between Sweden and Finland.  He came at the age of seventeen to America and went to Portland, Oregon where he was with a family named Sommarstrom.  They moved to Oakland; Fred came with them.  He started working as a carpenter for the Sommarstrom brothers.  They in turn brought him to church.  That’s where we met him.  He would often come down to the train station and meet Esther and Ruth and take them home.  Just as a kind thing to do.  But, boy, we were always glad to see him.  He went back to Sweden in 1927 and was gone for two years.

We had a beautiful farm.  We raised corn and we had a big wheat field.  There was even a nice woods there.  As we would play in the woods, we would pick blackberries for our Mother.  Mother didn’t have running water in the house.  There was a great big barrel outside that Dad would have to fill by connecting up the horse and take him down to the river and with a bucket fill the barrel with water and then bring it back up next to the house for us to use.  We didn’t even have an inside toilet.  We had to go outside to go to the toilet in a special latrine house.  We liked to go out and play in the hay in the barn but we were a little bit afraid to play around the big animals. 

There was a fish hatchery about a half mile up the tracks.  We loved to walk to the hatchery and watch the baby fish and the fish who came back to spawn.  It was fun to watch them jump the rapids.  This is the habit of fish to come back to their original home.

On the farm we had many fruit trees, a vegetable garden, chickens with lots of eggs, milk cows that kept us supplied as well as the neighbors.

Joseph and Emma Granquist

Stock Market Crash

In late 1928 our Dad and a partner bought a lot next to the Lakeside Baptist Church where we all attended with plans to build an apartment house of 32 units.  Dad was about 62 years old and this was going to be for their retirement.  They started early in 1929 and had it ready to rent in the fall of 1930.  We really don’t know the details but they put an awful lot of their money into the project as well as getting a substantial loan from a bank.  With the stock market crash in 1929 and the depression that developed in the next few years, they couldn’t get half of the rent that they had projected.  The bank got the building and Dad and his partner lost everything.

Our brother, Harold, worked in Martinez for Shell Oil Company.  After the apartment fiasco, he and our Dad built a house for Harold.  Harold paid him so that kept them going for about six months.

In the summer of 1931, Dad bought a lot next to Harold’s and built a house on it.  Joe says, he was his helper.  It also was the year Joe learned to drive.  When they left Oakland on Mondays Dad would drive out through Richmond in his 1922 4-door Chevrolet.  Then Joe would get to drive to Martinez.  By the time the summer was over Joe was driving all the way.  Because you could receive a driver’s license when you were 14 years of age, Joe had a driver’s license before the summer ended.

The Move to Alderwood Manor, WA

Our Dad tried every day to find work.  In 1932 and 1933 he, like thousands of others, just could not get a job.  Dad returned to Washington and Esther and her husband Roland moved into the house on 13thAvenue with Mother and Joe.  Dad and Harold had acquired 10 acres in Alderwood Manor (halfway between Seattle and Everett) when Harold got out of the Navy in 1921.  They had built a large chicken house on the property but Harold got hired by Shell Oil in Colinga and never used the building at all.  Wally called it the chicken-less chicken ranch.

Later Mother joined our Dad in Alderwood when the home he built for them was ready for occupancy, which was the summer of 1934. Esther and Roland lived in the house on 13th Ave. in Oakland until it was sold.  Dad was financially able to improve Alderwood Manor by building two more houses on the five acres that they rented.

History of Alderwood Manor from the website: 

The planned community of Alderwood Manor emerged between Everett and Seattle along the electric Interurban Railway in 1917. The area’s virgin forests had been logged in the early 1900s, and the stump land was marketed across the United States by the Puget Mill Company promising a life of health, happiness, and independence. The community of Alderwood Manor emerged in 1919. By 1922 the population of Alderwood Manor grew to 1,463 people (and 200,000 hens). Egg production in Alderwood Manor ranked second only to Petaluma, California. The Great Depression in the 1930s decimated the poultry business, and in 1939 the Interurban was dismantled in favor of bus and automobile transportation. The opening of Highway 99 stimulated commercial development in the area, bringing growth and opportunities to the new city of Lynnwood, which was incorporated in 1959.

Albertina with five of her seven sons.
L to R - Fred Emmanuel Johnson, Carl Alexander Johnson, Abel William Johnson, Albertina Johnson, Frank Arthur Johnson, Andrew Leander Johnson
Photo courtesy of Curtis Starck

She asked her father, “Where am I going to live if I can’t live with you?”  Her father said, “You are going to live with some friends of ours, the Glinebergs.  You’ll work for your board and room by taking care of the children and helping with the housework.”  Mother stayed there for some time, but could not go to school.  In 1888, when Emma’s Mother came to America, Emma was 14 years old and had been working for the wife of a bank president.  Mother was so grateful as she helped her learn the English language; to read; to write, and she also taught her to sew.  Mother became an expert seamstress.

During the years that we attended church in West Oakland we had many happy times with the young people.  The church was sold to a Negro Baptist congregation.  Our congregation built a new church in East Oakland.  Our father was the building superintendent.  The church was designed by Julia Morgan, a maiden lady.  She was the first woman architect in the United States.  Just lately, Ruth read a book filled with pictures of this famous architect’s work.  Julia Morgan designed Hearst Castle that everyone hears about in California.  Also many other famous buildings both in America and in Europe.  We attended the 100th Anniversary two years ago in the church in East Oakland.  It is a very pretty church.

Emma comes to America

However, when our Mother, Emma, was about nine years old (which would have been in 1884) she was able to travel to America on a ship with friends of the family named Trygg.  Because Mother was nine years old, she could travel free to America.  They traveled across the sea in one of those ships similar to what you read about in the “Emigrant”.  Later on, when Mother’s sister Minnie (Clara Wilhelmina Anderson) was getting married to Uncle Charlie (Charles John Trygg) in 1901, Mama said, “Hah! Hah! I slept with Charlie before you did."  That was when they were on the ship from Sweden.  Children slept together on the floor.  It took a long time to go across the water and our Mother finally landed at the age of nine years in North Dakota where her father met her.

Emma Charlotta Olivia Anderson

Emma lived in Sweden but in a different area than my Dad.  She was born in the city of Lynngby (Ljungby), the county of Ostergotlund and Dad was born in the city of Orebro, the county of Gothlienda.  Our Mother was born on September 21, 1874.  She was the second child of nine children born to John August Anderson and Clara Anderson.  
Emma’s Parents  

Emma’s parents were members of the servant class in the feudal system of Sweden and there was no chance of advancement for them or their children.  Emma’s father, John, tried to eke a living for his family.  He longed to go to the America he had heard so much about.  As their family, and poverty, increased, Emma’s Mother, Clara, finally consented for John to leave, confident that he could never afford to do so.  John felt very fortunate when he found a man with an inheritance who needed help in moving his family to the ‘Land of Promise’. 

In April 1883, John said goodbye to his wife and children and accompanied the Karlsons to North Dakota, expecting to send for the family by fall.  After a summer of hard work, he contracted typhoid fever and not only used up his savings but also was unable to work that winter.  It was November 1, 1888, 5½ years later, before Clara and their children were able to follow to the United States.

Photo of Joseph Lee, 5 years old with big sister, Esther​

Learn more about  John and Clara Anderson

Joseph Lee is born in Everett

We had just been in Everett one week when Joe was born.  The Sunday before we had gone to church in Everett and the ladies who were Mother’s early friends were so happy to see her that they had said that they would like to come sometime and visit.  By the middle of the week, Mother knew that she was going to have another baby.  It was Joe.  He was just a six-month baby.  She had worked so hard and it was no wonder that she gave birth to Joe early.  Ruth was in the fifth grade by that time and Esther was in the eighth grade.  On Friday, April 13th, 1917 Joseph Lee Granquist was born.  Our oldest sister Ellen had come home from Seattle where she had been training to be a nurse.

The morning Joe was born, Ellen told Ruth that she had to do the dishes before she went to school.  So Ruth got started, after she was dressed, to do the dishes.  The doctor arrived.  He went to the sink and started to wash his hands and Ruth said to him, “I have to do the dishes.”

And he said, “I have to wash my hands.”

Ruth said, “We have a bathroom off of the kitchen, you can wash your hands there.”

But he said, “No, I want to wash my hands here.”

Now, Ruth says, she knows he was teasing but she wasn’t going to be teased.  So any rate he finally said, “Okay, you can wash the dishes.”

Ruth finished the dishes and went off to school.  When she came home from school at noon for her lunch, Ellen said, “Come let me show you something.”She took Ruth into the dining room and there in the clothes basket was her baby brother, Joe, a tiny little baby.  Ruth was so excited when she went back to school she told her friend who was her teacher, Elida Nordeen, who also went to their church.

Our Mother’s lady friends had come on Thursday, the day before Joe was born to have this party for Mother.  One of the ladies came ahead and told Ellen, “The ladies are down on the corner.  We just came to see if your Mother was ready for a little party.”

But Ellen said, “Oh, please, don’t come to a party.  Mother is going to have a baby and we can’t have company.”So the lady had to go back to the corner, tell the ladies that Mother was having a baby.  They all went to another lady’s house and had their party, but they all said, Mother surprised them instead of they surprising Mother.

Photo above is the house on 2009 Wetmore St., Everett, WA in the early 1900s 
Photo below is the house on 2009 Wetmore St. in 2016

The following is from a newspaper article written in December 1951:

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph L Granquist of Alderwood Manor, Washington, celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary on December 19th with members of their family in Oakland, CA.

When there was a need for a Swedish Baptist Church in Everett, Washington, Mr. and Mrs. Granquist were instrumental in arranging it. The organization meeting was held in their home. They both worked hard for the furtherance of God's work in Everett, serving in many capacities. Mr. Granquist was vice-chairman, Sunday school superintendent, Deacon, and trustee. The present church building was built under Mr. Granquist's direction. Mrs. Granquist served as a Sunday school teacher and the president of the Women's Missionary Society.

In 1922 Mr. and Mrs. Granquist moved to Oakland, California where they joined Lakeside Baptist Church and became very active members. When the Lakeside Church was built. Mr. Granquist was selected as the building superintendent. Mrs. Granquist was the first chairman of the Deaconess Board.

They are at present living in Alderwood Manor, Washington, and are members of the Bethel Baptist Church in Everett, Washington. When they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary, the Everett Church honored them with a reception.

Throughout their married life there has always been a welcome to friends and those in need at their home, where the presence of the Lord was truly felt.

Mr. and Mrs. Granquist's three daughters, three sons, their families, and a host of friends sincerely wish them God's richest blessings as they continue to serve their precious Savior.

Our Father passes in 1957 

Later Dad had to have cataract surgery.  He gave up driving.  It was then that they sold and moved to the Ballard district and into a rented apartment.  Dad continued to have poor health.  He had to have cancer surgery of the prostate.  The day they took him to the convalescent home, he insisted on a bath and dolling up.  He died that night, October 11, 1957.  He was 89 years old.  We were all at the funeral except Joe who was working for the Alaska Steam Ship Line.  Mother continued to live in the apartment.  She and Wally came to Oakland for Christmas in 1957.   She used a wheelchair to go on a plane back to Seattle, then she moved to Ellen’s.

One day in May 1958 Mother went to bed looking at a picture of Christ.  In the morning Ellen came into her room and said, “Aren’t you going to get up, Mother?”

Mother responded, “It’s so dark.”

And then Ellen realized she couldn’t see.  Mother saw an eye doctor that day who confirmed she had glaucoma and was totally blind.  A real shock to everyone.  Esther and Roland were in Europe for the birth of their grandson, John.  Bruce (their son-in-law) as in the Army.  Ruth went to Seattle in June to help Ellen.  Wally invited Ruth and Mother to his home in Edmonds.  When Esther and Roland returned in July they flew to Wally’s.  They invited Mother to live with them in Oakland.  In August 1958 Mother, Wally and Ruth flew to Oakland.

When Mother’s bachelor brother, Uncle Charlie, died he willed Mother some money.  This was such a blessing to her and made her feel very independent.  When Mother lived with Esther and Roland, Mother insisted on paying Cleo Howard for taking care of her three times a week and helping Esther.  She did not want Esther to be tied down.  Cleo was so faithful and dependable.

Our Mother passes in 1962

Mother lived with Esther and Roland until her death, July 18, 1962.  She was 88 years old.  The memorial service was held in Seattle and she was buried next to Dad.  We were constantly challenged by Mother’s attitude toward her blindness.   She had said many times that if she had to lose one of her senses she was glad it was her eyes and not her ears.  She could talk to us and listen to the radio and her beloved Christian programs.  Both Mother and Dad were consecrated Christians and prayed every day for guidance.  They both loved and appreciated their children very much.

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph L. Granquist, Baptist Pioneers in Pacific Northwest - December 1951
Celebrate 60th Wedding Anniversary

Photo (left) is of Emma and Joseph Granquist soon after their marriage on December 19, 1891.  Photo courtesy of Curtis Starck.

They were married by Rev. M. Spangberg in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Our Mother's Parents - John and Clara Anderson

We have little information about our father’s parents, however, we do have information regarding our Mother’s side of the family.  
Our Mother’s father was Johan August Anderson.  He was born April 9, 1850, and died at 75 years on March 5, 1925.  Johan August Anderson was the firstborn son of Anders Johan Anderson and Anna Magdalena Anderson.  Johan had four siblings; Johanna Mathilda, Eva Carolina, Otto (who drowned at about 7 years), and another sibling who died at about two years old.

See  John and Clara Anderson'sstory from the book “Prairie Trails to Hi-Ways” published in 1978

Joseph was 5 years old when his mother, Magdalena, died.  Her living children would have been Albertina who was the oldest at 24 years of age and four boys: Carl (age 16), Johan (age 13), Herman (age 7), and Joseph (age 5).

Later in 1873, Joseph’s father, Carl, married again at the age of 48.  His bride, Fredrica Andersdotter (44 years old), had been a widower for 8 years and she had a 9-year-old son.  

The following is an excerpt from information gathered by Curtis Starck:  From a husförhörslängd (household examination lists) it appears that Joseph Leander was at Södra Lunger until he left to work as a farmhand at Norra Lunger in 1886 and then to North America in 1888.

There is a connection to a shoemaker in the Swedish records, Joseph's brother Herman. Perhaps they learned that trade from an uncle and Joseph was a helper of sorts in his youth.

End of Note by Kristin Peterson

Photo of Andrew Johnson Family.  Joseph Leander Granquist's only sister, Albertina, her with family.  
Top row: Emil, Carl, Fred, Frank, Andrew.  Second row: Herman, Albertina, Husband Andrew and Abel.
Photo courtesy of Curtis Starck

Esther Meets Roland

While we were going to church, Esther met Roland and she started going with him there.  He had come up to Berkeley, CA from Kingsburg to go to the University of California.

We lived near the Skykomish River.  Across the river was an Indian Reservation.  Once or twice a week a squaw would come over across the river in a dugout and then walked through our farm, down the tracks to town.  Coming home, the grocery man brought her to our gate.  She carried the 100 lb. sack of flour on her back and a box of groceries on her head.  Mother would invite her in for a snack and a hot drink.  We couldn’t communicate.  Ruth and Esther marked her cup and saucer and wouldn’t use them ever as she was an Indian.

In later years Mother told about selling their house on Hoyt Avenue in Everett and moving to Sultan on the farm.  She said, “That’s when I should have put my foot down and said, “No, we’re staying here in Everett!  But I didn’t.”  They had trouble with this sale.  The people who bought the house claimed that our parent’s furniture in the house belonged to them.  Our parents realized it was a misunderstanding.  It ended up with a jury trial and our parents lost.

After three years on the farm, our father came home one day and told our Mother he had traded the farm for a house in Everett plus a house in Snohomish, Washington.  We remember the house in Snohomish had several cherry trees on it and we did go out and pick the cherries.  Our Mother had to can the cherries day after day.

When we moved into the house in Everett, it was on Rucker Avenue.  Mother had to do all the moving there.

60th Wedding Anniversary

The photo above is the Skykomish River at Sultan, photo credit
The photo below is of children on the banks of the Skykomish River, photo credit

​​Joseph & Emma Granquist

​​Our Mother’s parents (John & Clara Anderson) were 22 years old when they married on May 12, 1872, and Clara Anderson was 46 years old when she gave birth to her eighth and last child (Mary Eleanor).

Emma, our Mother, was 43 years old when she gave birth to her eighth and last child (Joseph Lee).

The Wedding Dress

When we came home from the party we said to Mother, “What did you wear at your wedding?”  She said, “I don’t have all the dress, but my skirt is upstairs in my trunk.”  And we said, “Can we see it?”  Up the stairs, she and Dad went.  They got out our clothes for Ellen, Harold, and Wally when they were babies.  The skirt was beautiful.  It is soft white like tissue linen but embroidered at the bottom.  Every one of the girls, that could use it, has used it as a petticoat when they got married.  Esther has a skirt and now it is 98 years old.  It is so pretty and of a very soft material.

Joseph built this home in Oakland, CA in 1925.  2533 13th Avenue

Esther and Ruth are born

Mother had twins before they left North Dakota, but they were both stillborn.  When she came to Everett, Esther Wilhelmina was born on September 11, 1903.  Our Dad was very good with his hands and it didn’t take him long to learn the carpentry trade.  He pursued that kind of work for the rest of his life.  Ruth Clara was born on July 29, 1906, and by that time our parents had a comfortable home and our Dad was sub-contracting floors and finish work and had a reasonably steady income.  Both Esther and Ruth were born in the same house at 2009 Wetmore Avenue, Everett, Washington.
Our Father was a mover.  He loved to move from one place to another.  He built a house at 1801 Hoyt Avenue in Everett but we moved from thereafter he built another house right across from the high school in Everett at 214 Hoyt Avenue.  It’s a great big square house with 18 rooms, a basement, and a cellar.  As you went in the front door, our family lived on the right-hand side and we rented the left-hand side of the home.  Upstairs, housekeeping rooms were rented to the teachers from Everett High School and Lincoln Grammar School which was one block away.

Healds Business College and Shell Oil

Dad had taken Esther out to the University before we came, to go to school, but he discovered she would have to pay out of state tuition so Esther decided to go to Healds Business College.  She completed the business course and got a job at the Shell Oil Company in San Francisco where she worked until she was married.

Ruth was a senior in high school when she came to Oakland, CA.  She graduated from Oakland High.  In order for Esther to go to San Francisco State College, they (Esther and Ruth) had to walk twenty blocks to take the San Francisco train at the foot of 13th Avenue.  When they got to the train they took that for twenty minutes.  Then they got on the ferry and went across San Francisco Bay and Esther walked up to her job at the Shell Oil Co.  Ruth took a streetcar for another twenty minutes in San Francisco to go to school all day.  Ruth went to college for two and one-half years.

Our Dad went to Juneau, AK

It wasn’t a week later but Dad said, “They’re building a new school in Juneau, Alaska and I am getting a very good job to go to Alaska and help work on the school.”  So off he went and left Mother with a new baby, Esther, and Ruth.  By this time Ellen was back in Seattle (at Swedish Hospital) where she was training to be a nurse.  Wally was in Petersburg, Alaska.  Harold was in the Navy.  So we lived in this old house on Rucker Avenue until Dad finally came home from Alaska.

World War I

We were still living in this house when World War I took place, 1917.  We had a soldier, that was Wally; a sailor, Harold; and a Red Cross nurse, Ellen in the war.  Ellen was in Fort Lewis and she could come home once in a while.  Harold was on a ship taking the soldiers across over to Europe for the war.  Wally was in France serving in the 91st division.  When Joe was about six years old they all came home and it is the only time in the life of our family that we were all together.  We had a service flag in our window with a soldier star, a sailor star, and a Red Cross sign.  We don’t know whatever happened to that flag.  We certainly wish we knew.

During the war, Mother was very faithful to write to her children.  Esther and Ruth helped her spell.  She used a dictionary always, but sometimes she couldn’t find the word that she wanted.

The move to Oakland, CA

Our Dad was in Juneau for about 2½ years.  We continued to live on Rucker Avenue until Joe was about six years old.  When our Dad got back, work in Everett had slowed down and his prospects were not too good.  Then came disaster.  Berkeley, California had a fire in 1923 that burned literally thousands of homes and small businesses.  Friends of our parents moved to Oakland, California and wrote the folks about opportunities there.  Our Father went down to Oakland by himself.  He got work right away and bought a lot about six blocks away from a duplex he had rented on East 22nd off 13th Avenue in Oakland.

All the children were born in Ytterberga, Södra Lunger, Götlunda, Sweden except for the oldest, Albertina, who was born in Ängtorp, Hasta, Södra Lunger, Götlunda, Sweden. 

The following is a story told by Ruth Lindquist and collaborated by Esther Peterson and Joseph Granquist.  
Auntie Ruth visited with Kris and Gary Granquist in 1989 shortly after Erik Granquist was born.  Ruth often helped by feeding Erik a bottle and rocking him to sleep while telling him stories.  She was a great storyteller.  A tape recorder captured the many family stories that Ruth told Erik as she fed him and as he slept in her arms.  

The publication was written in September 1989.

The move to Sultan, WA

Our father traded the house in Everett for a farm in Sultan, Washington.  Ruth was in the first grade, Esther in the third.  Esther and Ruth walked a good mile to the school on the railroad tracks.  A railroad track went right by our house.  We could hear that train going by and we had to get off to the side of the road so we wouldn’t get hurt by the train.  We were kind of scared walking that railroad track.  It was a long, long way home.  So, very often we would go by way of the road, and then we would stop at a little lady’s house, Mrs. Rodbeck.  She would give us a cookie or something to eat.

Photo of Ruth 9 years and Esther 12 years old. 
This picture was chosen for the Worlds Fair in San Francisco, 1915 and was placed in the Children’s Building, representing the State of Washington.​

Our Mother's Grandparents - Anders and Anna Danielson

Our Mother’s mother was Clara Anderson, born May 1, 1850, and died at 82 years on April 5, 1932.  Clara Anderson was the second child of Anders Fredrick Danielson and Anna Margareta Anderson.  (children were always called by their father’s first name with “son” added)  Therefore, Clara was an Anderson and she married an Anderson.  She had two siblings.  An older brother named Johan Anderson and a younger sister Tilda, who died young.

Bismarck, North Dakota 
and the move to Everett, WA

While in North Dakota, our Dad continued working in the wheat mill.  They purchased 20 acres just outside Bismarck and he and his relatives built a house.  Dad was never a farmer, but Mother was.  She took care of the animals and her three babies.  Ellen Victoria was born December 4, 1892, Harold Emmanuel was born on August 19, 1894, and Oscar Walfred (Wally) was born May 19, 1896.  All were born in Bismarck, North Dakota. Neighbors of our parents got the urge to go west and they convinced our parents to do likewise.  They were able to land jobs there in Everett.  They all welcomed the chance to live where the climate was not so severe as in North Dakota.

The photo on the right is of Ellen and Harold with their parents Joseph and Emma taken in Bismarck, North Dakota.
Photo courtesy of Curtis Starck

1917 Joseph Lee Granquist​
Photo on left (L to R): Oscar (Wally), Harold, Joseph, Emma, Esther, and Ellen taken in 1903 in Everett, WA.  Photo on right is Ruth Clara born July 29, 1906.

Dad went to Bristol Bay, AK

Ruth finished college just before the depression hit.  Joe had gone to school as he lived with Mother and Father.  He was in the first grade when he started school in California.  He graduated from Oakland High School.  Two weeks before graduation he went to Bristol Bay, AK to work with Fred who was fishing for the Alaska Salmon Company.  We lived in the small duplex for three years.  During that time, Dad built a beautiful three bedroom home on 13th Avenue.

Ellen Marries Farrand

Our Dad came home to Everett for Ellen’s wedding in August 1923.  Ellen was marrying Farrand Clark, a man she had met in Shelton, WA.  After the wedding, Dad insisted that Esther should return to California with him.  Esther had been going to college in Pullman, WA.  He said she could go to the University of California and live at home.  Ruth stayed in Everett with Mother and Joe.  In September Dad told Mother to come to California.  Mother sold the house and packed everything to move to California.  In October 1923 Mother, Ruth and Joe took the train to Oakland, CA.

Joseph Leander Granquist 
photo provided by Curtis Starck
Photo of Main Street in Sultan, WA, ca. 1912.

Our Dad's Sister

The information we have regarding our father’s sister, Albertina Granquist, is from copies of pages from a book about the early settlers of Naughton township in North Dakota.

Albertina was born on December 22, 1849.   She would have been 19 years old when our father was born.  Albertina married Andrew Leander Johnson.  Andrew was born in Orebro, Sweden in 1852.

In 1882, Andrew and Albertina with their two small sons left Sweden for the USA and a new life.  They settled near Mandan, North Dakota and raised seven sons.

A Carlson?

Our Father, (Joseph Leander Granquist) was born March 10, 1868.  A Swedish confirmation paper, similar to a passport, was issued to our father in June of 1888.  If this paper had been issued to our father in Sweden, then there would have been only three years from the time he left Sweden to the time he married Emma. 

Since many things happened to our father between 1888 and 1891, it is also possible that this confirmation paper could also have been mailed to our father from Sweden as he did enter the country illegally by “jumping ship”.  

Of interest also is the name on the confirmation paper:  Josef Leander Carlsson with taken name Granquist….

Photo of Sultan Grade School

Mother and Dad met in the Baptist church in Bismarck, North Dakota where they were married on December 19, 1891.  Dad was 23, Mother was 17. 

When they had been married 50 years they were living in Alderwood Manor, Washington.  The anniversary celebration was held at the First Swedish Baptist Church in Everett, Washington where they were charter members.  The church hosted their 50th Anniversary party on December 19, 1941.  Ellen, Harold, Esther, Ruth, and families were there.  Because of the attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese, Wally and Joe could not attend.  They were both in Alaska. 


Carl & Magdalena Persson's Children
Carl Anders Persson, ​married 29 Nov 1849
12 Sep 1825
15 Oct 1893
Magdalena Larsdotter
16 Jan 1824
14 Mar 1873
Albertina Carlsdotter               
22 Dec 1849
8 Sep 1933
Vilhelmina Carlsdotter
2 May 1852
6 May 1855
Carl August Carlsson
26 Oct 1854
9 Aug 1856
Carl August Carlsson (Granquist)
9 May 1857
27 Jan 1932
Johan Arvid Carlsson (Granquist)
29 Dec 1860

Herman Carlsson (Granquist)
5 Feb 1866
6 Feb 1946
Josef Leander Carlsson (Granquist)
10 Mar 1868
11 Oct 1957

Joseph’s parents, Carl and Magdalena, were married on November 29, 1849, in Gotlunda, Vastmanlands Lan, Sweden when Carl was 23 years old and Magdalena was 25 years old.

Joseph's father, Carl Anders Persson, was born September 12, 1825, in Nödfallet, Kåsätter, Götlunda and he died October 15, 1893, in Södra Lunger, Götlunda at the age of 68.  

Joseph's mother, Magdalena Larsdotter, was born January 16, 1824, in Nyfallet, Åsta, Lillkyrka and she died on March 14, 1873, in Södra Lunger, Götlunda at the age of 49.

When we lived on the farm Esther was very ill and was in bed for several weeks.  Father gave her 50 cents and she did her Christmas shopping for everyone through the Sears and Roebuck catalog.  Twelve men’s handkerchiefs cost 10 cents so she gave Dad, Harold and Wally each four.  Her 50 cents furnished everyone a gift.       

Our Dad was born in Sweden in 1868.  He had one brother and one sister.  When his parents were killed in an accident the two boys were taken in by an uncle in Goteburg (Gothenburg).  Albertina was our Dad’s sister.  Information about her, including a photograph of her family, appears later on in this article.  

The boys were teenagers when their parents passed away and their uncle saw that they went through the equivalent of high school.  They both worked in their uncle’s shoe shop and one of our Dad’s chores was to deliver shoes or boots often to ships in the harbor.  

He became friends with a sailing ship captain who promised him ’next trip’ you can go with me.  And it happened….the next trip was some ten months later when he bundled up his belongings and joined the ship as a cabin boy.

A note added by Kristin:  Through the research done by Curtis Starck and Norman Lindquist an addition and possibly a correction is added at this juncture of the story.  Curtis is the great-grandson of Albertina, Joseph’s sister.  Norman is the grandson of Joseph and Emma.

Through documents, such as the one below and provided by Curtis Starck, the story may be changed as follows: 

Joseph Leander (aka Josef Leander Carlsson) was the youngest of seven children born to Carl Anders Persson and Magdalena Larsdotter.

Emma Granquist's parents, 
John and Clara Anderson.